Congratulations to JoJo Moss, chosen as this year’s STAR student at Hillcrest because he scored a 31 on the ACT, the highest score in the senior class. According to the Mississippi Economic Council website, “The STAR Student will be asked to designate his or her STAR Teacher. The STAR teacher should be one of his or her elementary or secondary classroom teachers (active, former, or retired). The teacher selected is, in the STAR Student’s opinion, the person who has made the greatest contribution to the student’s scholastic achievement.” JoJo chose Mrs. Lindsey Noble as his STAR Teacher.
Congratulations also to Katie Martin, selected to be this year’s WAPT Blitz 16/BankPlus Scholar Athlete for Hillcrest. The annual banquet was held April 23 to highlight students from around the Jackson Metro area for their hard work in the classroom as well as in athletics.
The fourth grade class boarded the bus at 6:30 Monday morning for their trip to New Orleans. First, they visited the Insectarium/Butterfly Garden. The students were able to touch the second largest type of centipede, and saw many beautiful butterflies, but they enjoyed sampling a variety of flavored bugs at the “Bug Cafe” best of all. Next, they visited the Aquarium, where they saw jellyfish, sea turtles, and sharks. The students were even able to pet a stingray. Mrs. Stegall says, “In science we learned that God created sea creatures on the fifth day, and each creature has what it needs for survival in its environment. From the tiny ant to the large shark, the whole trip reminded us what a great God we have.”
Our Lower School students love getting to “strut their stuff” and wear their artwork on t-shirts!
Check out our tennis team in action at yesterday’s tournament in Vicksburg:
Congratulations to Juniors Jared Bewley and Alex Howell, whose wins earned each of them a place in the South State tournament next Tuesday!
They’ve nearly done it… All their hard work is about to pay off… Three more days of high school are all they have remaining, and then the members of the Class of 2018 will be on their way to bigger and better things!
Here are several important dates and reminders:
- Senior Chapel will take place this Friday, April 27, beginning at 8:55 AM.
- Senior Exams are next week, Monday through Wednesday (April 30 – May 2) during regular class periods: 1st & 2nd period Monday, 3rd & 4th Tuesday, 5th & makeups Wednesday.
- Baccalaureate practice will take place Friday, May 4, beginning at 1:30 PM at Wynndale Baptist Church.
- Class Day / Passing the Torch practice will take place Monday, May 7, at 10:00 AM in the high school gym.
- Baccalaureate is Monday night, May 7, beginning at 6:30 PM at Wynndale Baptist Church; seniors must arrive no later than 6:00 PM.
- Class Day / Passing the Torch is Tuesday, May 8, beginning at 8:45 AM; seniors must arrive by 8:10 AM. Juniors will also participate in this and must attend school regularly.
- Graduation practice is Thursday, May 10, beginning at 1:00 PM at Country Woods Baptist Church.
- THE BIG MOMENT, Graduation begins at 7:00 PM on Friday, May 11, at Country Woods Baptist Church; seniors must arrive by 6:00 PM.
Finally, Seniors, if you have not turned in your letter of college acceptance or any of your community service hours (10 per year of high school), please get those to Mr. Ritter as soon as possible. You will not receive a diploma until you do so.